Syrian League for Citizenship
الرابطة السورية للمواطنة
Knowledge Program / Bayt Al Mowaten (Citizen House)
(Publishing house of the Syrian League for Citizenship)
Among the most important aims of the SL4C is to disseminate the concept of citizenship. With that aim in mind, it agreed with the publishing house Bayt al-Mouwaten (which means ‘Citizen’s House in
1. Citizenship, focusing on the publication of studies relating to citizenship, whether written in Arabic or in translation.
2. Civil education series, which focuses on the publication of pamphlets which talk simply about legal and political concepts relating to citizenship and its issues.
3. Syrian testimony series, which brings together literary writings which reflect the life of Syrians over the last few years; and which will build the Syrian Collective Memory writing in the time of crisis.
These publications will contribute towards the creation of an Arabic library for citizenship and its related issues. Based on the SL4C’s central concept, the topics dealt with in these books could enter every study or research into the relationship between citizens, on the one hand, and the state, the shared environment with other citizens, on the other.
Among the subjects that published about in this series are the following:
1. Pre-revolutionary Syrian voices, (By support of Hivos).
2. The reality of the Syrian women under the current crisis, (By support of Etijahat. Independent Culture).
3. Collective Memory, by Maurice Halbwach and translated by Dr. Nisreen Alzahr.
The pamphlets published in this series are first and foremost directed at young people between the ages of 18 and 35, and aims to fill the gap in political and legal concepts which is a result of cognitive deficiency affecting the Syrian educational curriculum. What is key here is that these civil education pamphlets are generalized, not specialized. It is almost panorama of the topics at hand, constituting a first step for those who want to read and research more.
Released of «Civic Education series» by support of Euro-Mediterranean Foundation of Support to Human Rights Defenders (EMHRF), the following books:
1. Secularism, Tariq Aziza.
2. Rights of the child, Ruhada Abdosh.
3. Post-conflict development, Dr. Omar Dahi.
4. Democracy, Wael Al-Sawah.
5. Freedom, Maher Massoud.
6. Civil society, Hossam Shehadeh.
7. Sustainable Development, for Mariana Tabba.
8. Identity, for the Taleb Al-Ali.
9. The judicial system in Syria and its associated, Ibrahim al-Qasim.
III. Syrian testimony series:
This series aims to place the foundations for the development of Syrian collective memory during the current tragic crisis. The series is open to everyone, free of any prejudice in terms of political or ideological leanings.
In the texts submitted for publishing in this series, it is required that:
1. They neither abuse nor libel anyone
2. They do not put forward any violations of citizenship
3. They are of a literary character
4. Is approved for publishing by the accredited reading committee.
Released of «Syrian testimony series» by support of Initiative for a New Syria (INS), the following books:
1. Siege Mosaic.
2. To My Daughter.
10. Vacillating Land.
By support of Euro-Mediterranean Foundation of Support to Human Rights Defenders (EMHRF), the following books:
13. Letters from Syria.
14. Diaries and Poems.
15. Forget Damascus.
By support of Initiative for a New Syria (INS):
16. The Rest of Life.
17. Do not close your eyes.
18. The path is screws.
19. Umm Hashim’s lost lamp.
20. Death as if it were a scrap.
21. Since I didn’t die.
The SL4C calls on all those who wish to write about these axes to contact us via email so that we can find a way to collaborate.