The Knowledge Program
When the revolutionary movement began in many countries in the region, which was known in the beginning as the dignity uprising, the essential objective of this movement was building a democratic state based on the principle of citizenship and equality among citizens. The general ignorance of the concept of citizenship meant that it was necessary to start working on spreading this concept and related issues.
And this is what the League worked on since it was launched a few months after the start of the uprising. Today, the extremism became stronger, and the terrorist organizations occupied a wide part in the community, the future had become unclear and it became difficult to know how things will end. There is only one clear fact; that there is a requirement for active citizenship more than ever. and this what would help to contribute to the rebuilding of any country at all levels; not only at the physical level also at Moral, political, social and cultural… Which all require a strong presence of citizenship in the minds of citizens, in their philosophy and their daily lives.
Citizenship League is working on reinforcing citizenship and its values, and on deepening the knowledge of issues related to citizenship that has not received adequate attention during recent decades, such as issues of secularism, civil society, democracy, and human rights. It is also working to reinforce the concept of equality of rights and duties among citizens. It seeks to work on the ground to reinforce the principle of participation in public life, and monitor violations of citizenship and promote the culture of dialogue and reconciliation among the various components of the society. Therefore, spreading the culture of citizenship, introducing it and its issues, is a big responsibility that the league is carrying out daily. It seeks to achieve it, through publications, printed materials, seminars, symposiums and all possible forms of influence. To be able to achieve its objectives in introducing and spreading the culture of citizenship, the League has launched the project (House of Citizen); a publishing house to mobilize researchers, translators, and citizens, in general, to work on the formation of a library of citizenship, to provide access as widely as possible.
Introducing the concept of citizenship, its basics, and values, introducing the concepts associated with its culture, and work to spread them as broadly as possible.
I – Publishing:
1. Translation of at least three books annually; reference books for citizenship and its basics, values and related concepts.
2. Develop guides for workshops that introduce citizenship and its basics, values and related concepts.
3. Publication of a series of small books entitled (Civic Education), written by researchers from around the region about citizenship and related concepts.
4. Publication of a series of books that include citizens’ testimonies (Especially young people) about the Syrian crisis to preserve their collective memory.
II – the dialogue and opinion formation:
1. Hold a series of dialogue sessions on topics of citizenship and related issues, print these sessions in booklets and distribute them.
2. Hold academic conferences (one or two yearly) about citizenship and its basics, values and related concepts.
3. Establish a (Cine-club) specialized in (Cinema and citizenship).